Stanford Online is administered by the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL) at Stanford University.
Contact: For questions, please contact us via email at StanfordOnline@stanford.edu.
Website Accessibility: Visit the Stanford Web Accessibility site to report accessibility issues and to learn more about the Stanford Online Accessibility Program.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL) is committed to creating and supporting a lifetime of learning opportunities for learners on campus and beyond. Through free online courses, graduate and professional certificates, advanced degrees, and executive education programs, we are facilitating extended and meaningful engagement with Stanford faculty and their research, for learners of different ages, regions, and backgrounds throughout many stages of their lives and careers.
Learning Opportunities and Stanford Credentials
- Stanford Online provides learning opportunities to the public in conjunction with many of the university’s schools and departments. Through Stanford Online (a part of VPTL), Stanford offers more than 100 unique, free online courses or MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) in service to the world, for lifelong learning and self-enrichment.
- Stanford Center for Professional Development (SCPD) offers courses and programs from the School of Engineering and other Stanford departments delivered online, at Stanford, at company work sites and international locations—providing a global community of learners with flexibility and convenience and enabling them to apply their education to their work. Through SCPD (a part of VPTL), Stanford offers 11 master’s degrees which can be pursued partly online (3 can be completed entirely online), 28 online graduate certificates, 5 online professional programs, 194 online credit-based graduate level courses, and 226 online professional and continuing education courses.
- Stanford Center for Health Education (SCHE) provides online teaching tools for a variety of learners worldwide — from highly credentialed professionals seeking advanced curricula to community health workers in areas with no access to conventional educational resources. SCHE is a collaboration between the Stanford School of Medicine and Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning.
- Stanford Center for Continuing Medical Education (CME) improves patient care by providing physicians and other health care professionals with evidence-based training on advances in medicine, new medical technology and biomedical research.
- Stanford Continuing Studies shares the rich educational resources of Stanford University with adult students, nurtures a vibrant learning community, nourishes the life of the mind, and promotes the pleasures of intellectual exploration and exchange.
- Stanford Graduate School of Business offers executive education programs to professionals so that they may enhance their leadership skills, build a foundation in general management, and connect to a global network of peers.
- Worldview Stanford offers interdisciplinary learning experiences about about the questions shaping our future.
- Stanford Online High School is a fully accredited, diploma granting, independent school offering courses for grades 7–12, where dedicated teachers help talented students worldwide pursue their passions in real-time, online, seminar classes.
Open Learning Activities
- Stanford eCorner offers 2,000 free videos (full talks and highlight clips), podcasts and articles to help you develop an entrepreneurial mindset. Content is developed by the Stanford Technology Ventures Program and Stanford University and shares the diverse insights and perspectives of Stanford Engineering faculty, community members, and leading entrepreneurs and innovators from around the world.
- Stanford on iTunes U makes available more than 3,000 Stanford audio and video programs on Apple's popular iTunes platform, including lectures, faculty presentations and campus events.
- Stanford on YouTube is an archive of videos from schools, departments, and programs across the university highlighting faculty lectures and research.
- Stanford is thinking broadly about how we will educate students in the 21st Century. VPTL on YouTube offers an archive of videos from events and programs that are focused on the transformation of learning at Stanford — and beyond.