These include accredited academic degrees and professional certificates of achievement as well as open access to individual classes, lectures, and other materials created by our world class faculty. Just pick the level of commitment and academic rigor that’s right for you.
Courses for Academic Credit
These courses grant Stanford University credit, affirmed in an official university transcript and culminating in a Stanford University degree. Some courses allow for part-time study. All either require only limited travel to the Stanford campus or can be completed entirely online.
We also offer the opportunity to earn a fully accredited, and highly ranked, online high school diploma through the Stanford Online High School.
Click to browse all available courses for Stanford academic credit.
Courses to Earn Certificates
These courses, or sequences of courses, grant ID-verified certificates of completion and are offered at three levels:
- Professional Certificate – requires approximately 150 hours of coursework and a capstone such as an essay, presentation, or exam.
- Achievement Certificate – requires approximately 36 hours of coursework and a capstone such as an essay, presentation, or exam.
- Certificate of Completion - require approximately 20 hours of coursework, no capstone.
Click to browse all courses to earn a certificate.
Open learning opportunities
These courses are typically free, open to any learner, and require no proof of identity. Students who successfully complete courses that include graded assignments may receive a certificate of participation.
Open learning opportunities are available through Stanford Online, which offers more than 100 massively open online courses, or MOOCs, and at the following locations:
- Stanford on iTunes - 3,000+ Stanford audio and video programs, including lectures, faculty presentations and campus events.
- Stanford on YouTube – archived videos from schools, departments, and programs across the university highlighting faculty lectures and research.
- Stanford eCorner - 2,000+ videos, podcasts, and articles developed by the Stanford Technology Ventures Program.