How Technology is Shaping Democracy and the 2020 Election
Democracy can only thrive with the participation of well-informed citizens. The 2020 US presidential election will be historic for many reasons and all parties are leveraging the power of technology to both influence and mobilize voters. More than ever, digital tools and platforms are shaping the opinions and behaviors of voters who will determine the future of the governance of the United States.
This new, free, on-demand course examines the unprecedented influence of technology and technology policy on America’s elections and democratic process and takes a close look at how a public sphere plagued by polarization, online filter bubbles, foreign and domestic misinformation and disinformation campaigns, microtargeted political advertising, impacts our ability to be well-informed citizens.
- Learn how U.S. elections work and about the challenges of implementing new technology
- Explore the dynamics of driving voter registration and casting a vote during a pandemic
- Examine the role social media platforms play in our ability to maintain a healthy public discourse
- See how these digital tools and filters help shape our beliefs, preferences, and convictions as citizens and how they can grow and diminish the agency of individuals, movements, governments, and foreign entities
- Understand complex technology policy questions that affect content moderation