Decision Analysis I: Foundations of Decision Analysis
- Decision Analysis Graduate Certificate
- Management Science and Engineering Graduate Certificate
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Certificate: Project Risk Analysis and Assessment Track
- Technology and Engineering Management Graduate Certificate
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Certificate: Venture Creation for the Real Economy Track
Everyone makes decisions, but few people think about how they do it. Decision analysis is the normative field of decision-making.
This course provides a coherent approach to decision making, developing rules of thought to transform complex decisions into simpler decision situations. Learn how to evaluate choices and achieve clarity on possible actions. Improve personal and professional decision making, and gain an understanding of how to help others make decisions. See how decision-making principles can be applied to business, technology, law, and medicine.
- 1 year of college level calculus (through calculus of several variables, such as CME100)
- Background in statistics, experience with spreadsheets recommended.
- An undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or equivalent
- Socratic instruction
- Computational problem sessions
- Creation of distinctions
- Representation of uncertainty by probability
- Development of alternatives
- Specification of preference
- Information gathering opportunities in terms of a value measure
- Relevance and decision diagrams to represent inference and decision.
Note on Course Availability
The course schedule is displayed for planning purposes – courses can be modified, changed, or cancelled. Course availability will be considered finalized on the first day of open enrollment. For quarterly enrollment dates, please refer to our graduate certificate homepage.
Thank you for your interest. The course you have selected is not open for enrollment. Please click the button below to receive an email when the course becomes available again.