Antimicrobial Stewardship: Improving Clinical Outcomes By Optimization of Antibiotic Practices (CME)
DescriptionThis course will offer a practical approach to prescribing antibiotic therapy and development of antimicrobial stewardship across all specialties and settings. Antibiotics are among the most frequently prescribed classes of drugs and it is estimated that approximately 50% of antibiotic use, in both the outpatient and inpatient settings, is inappropriate. At the same time, in contrast to any other class of drugs, every antibiotic use has a potential public health consequence – inappropriate use may not harm only the individual patient, but contributes to societal harm by exerting an unnecessary selective pressure that may lead to antibiotic resistance among bacteria. This video based course will introduce learners to the basic principles of appropriate antibiotic use, demonstrate how to apply these principles to the management of common infections, and outline how to develop and maintain an antimicrobial stewardship program. We will offer a number of illustrative cases, recognizable to the practicing physician in his or her practice to engage learners in the thought processes that lead to optimal decision making, improved outcomes of individual patients, and harm reduction vis-a-vis the bacterial ecology. The course will also explore strategies to implement principles of antimicrobial stewardship both in your practice and also at a program level.
- Apply IDSA guidelines in treating infections such as acute rhino-sinusitis, cystitis and acute bronchitis.
- Incorporate guidelines/standardized protocols to diagnose and prescribe antibiotic therapy for treating sepsis.
- Develop strategies to implement evidence based practices for antimicrobial stewardship in your practice setting.
- Develop a plan to lead an antimicrobial stewardship program.
Course SyllabusCourse Outline:
- Module 1. Principles of Antimicrobial Use
- Module 2. Optimal Management of Common Infections
- Module 3. Essential Functions of ASP
- Module 4. Advanced ASP Activities
- Course Wrap-up
- Resources and References
Course FormatVideos by leading experts in the field will provide up to date scientific information and case studies will engage learners in the educational process. Quizzes will facilitate better integration of the information into strategies to apply in practice. CME Credits Offered: 7.00
To Obtain CME Credits:
- Review the information below and complete the entire activity.
- Complete the CME Post-test, CME Evaluation Survey, and CME Activity Completion Statement at the end of the activity.
- You must receive a score of 75% or higher on the post-test in order to receive a certificate. You will have three attempts to answer each multiple-choice question (or one attempt for questions with only two options) to pass the post-test.
- Once you attest to completing the entire online activity and have scored 75% or higher on the post-test, your certificate will be generated automatically and will be available on your Dashboard page.
- Physicians will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. All other participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.