E-Cigarettes: Harmful or Harm-Reducing? Online Medical Education in Electronic Nicotine Delivery Products
This CME activity focuses on the science of e-cigarettes – particularly health risks and benefits. Based on observed patterns in questions from real patients and answers from practicing physicians, we emphasize potential health impacts of e-cigarettes and regulated alternatives such as nicotine replacement therapy. Video role-playing opportunities focus on special issues related to youth, pregnancy, and use by parents and patients in perioperative phase, cancer treatment or cardiovascular disease treatment. Online learners are engaged through role-play, expert interviews, and interactive activities.
This course is designed for physicians in cardiology, family practice, primary care, general surgery, internal medicine, oncology, pediatrics, psychiatry and others in Ob-Gyn.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Investigate new information about e-cigarette risks and benefits.
- Evaluate the quality of e-cigarette information and interpret risks and benefits of e-cigarettes based on scientific evidence.
- Develop informed professional opinions about when to warn against or recommend e-cigarettes.
- Assess e-cigarette use in all patients who currently use tobacco.
- Apply evidence-based brief tobacco/nicotine cessation counseling (5'As Ask-Advise-Assess-Assist-Arrange) protocol in instances where patients ask about e-cigarettes.
- Counsel patients who are using or considering using e-cigarettes to attempt cessation with FDA-approved NRT or pharmacotherapy.
Dates, Duration and Fees
- Release Date: January 17, 2017
- Expiration Date: June 17 2018
- Estimated Time to Complete: 1.5 Hours
- CME Credits Offered: 1.50
- Registration Fee: Free
To Obtain CME Credits
- Review the information below and complete the entire activity.
- Complete the CME Post-test, CME Assessment Survey, and CME Activity Completion Statement at the end of the activity.
- You must receive a score of 75% or higher on the post-test in order to receive a certificate. You will have two attempts to answer each multiple-choice question (or one attempt for questions with only two options) to pass the post-test.
- Once you attest to completing the entire online activity and have scored 75% or higher on the post-test, your certificate will be generated automatically and will be available on your Dashboard page.
- Physicians will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits„¢. All other participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.