SafetyQuest: Level Two - Moving Beyond QI Basics
Modern healthcare is complex and has many opportunities for error. To ensure patient safety, hospitals and healthcare systems must continually strive to work together as a team, create a culture of patient safety, and identify and mitigate risks. SafetyQuest is a sequential series of online CME gaming modules (levels 1 - 4) that provide an innovative and immersive experience to understanding the underlying causes of patient safety issues. This unique educational program emphasizes a problem-solving approach to preventing errors in all healthcare settings and seeks to ensure that patients are provided with care that supports the key quality aims of the Institute of Medicine. Throughout the series, learners will work to save patients from preventable harm and will errors and will gain problem solving quality improvement and safety tools to approach these issues. Case-based scenarios using multiple game modalities will be used to put these principles into practice and save future lives.
What you will learn
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Analyze when systematic learning from error is the best response to ensuring patient safety (e.g., 5 Why’s Root Cause Analysis, Pareto, Fishbone diagram) to reduce the risk of adverse events and increase patient safety.
- Utilize best practices such as medicine reconciliation, order sets and checklists and QI tools such as process mapping and systems approach principles to improve the quality of care for your patients.
- Describe key safety and teamwork concepts to promote a positive safety culture
- Test Your Knowledge
- Level Two: Moving Beyond QI Basics
- Case 2 | QI Tool: Pareto | Adverse Event
- Case 8 | QI Tool: Process Map | Best Practice Discharge
- Case 9 | QI Tool: Fishbone | Wrong Medication
- Case 12 | QI Tool: Systems Engineering | Wrong Formulation
- Case 17 | QI Tool: TeamSTEPPS | Missing Antibiotics
- Course Wrap-Up
- Resources and References
To Obtain CME Credits
- Review the information below and complete the entire activity.
- Complete the CME Post-test, CME Assessment Survey, and CME Activity Completion Statement at the end of the activity.
- You must receive a score of 75% or higher on the post-test in order to receive a certificate. You will have two attempts to answer each multiple-choice question (or one attempt for questions with only two options) to pass the post-test.
- Once you attest to completing the entire online activity and have scored 75% or higher on the post-test, your certificate will be generated automatically and will be available on your Dashboard page.
- Physicians will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. All other participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.