Dementia and Diversity in Primary Care: African American Populations
Although dementia is the most common diagnosis in older adulthood it is under-recognized in primary care. This gap in recognition is even greater for patients, their caregivers and families who belong to various ethnic and racial minority populations. As U.S. residents are aging, and becoming more racially and ethnically diverse, physicians and other healthcare providers will increasingly need to tailor their care to specific populations.
This series of continuing education activities is designed to help healthcare providers recognize dementia, select culturally appropriate assessment tools, and communicate effectively about dementia care in ethnically and racially diverse populations.
This course, Dementia and Diversity in Primary Care: African American Populations, will provide information on assessing and caring for Dementia patients, their families, and caregivers in African American Populations.
The initial course in the series, Dementia and Diversity in Primary Care: A Primer - Guidelines, Ethnic Differences, and Assessment, should be taken prior to other courses in the series as it addresses the diagnosis and treatment of Dementia, while this course addresses best practices, cultural information, and appropriate assessment tools for African American populations.
What you will learn
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Select culturally appropriate dementia assessment tools for African American patients.
- Utilize strategies to communicate effectively about dementia care with the families of patients with dementia from African American backgrounds.
- Module 1. Disparities in Health Care
- Module 2. Dementia Assessment
- Module 3.
- Course Wrap-Up
- Resources and References
To Obtain CME Credits
- Review the information below and complete the entire activity.
- Complete the CME Post-test, CME Assessment Survey, and CME Activity Completion Statement at the end of the activity.
- You must receive a score of 75% or higher on the post-test in order to receive a certificate. You will have two attempts to answer each multiple-choice question (or one attempt for questions with only two options) to pass the post-test.
- Once you attest to completing the entire online activity and have scored 75% or higher on the post-test, your certificate will be generated automatically and will be available on your Dashboard page.
- Physicians will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. All other participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
Thank you for your interest. The course you have selected is not open for enrollment. Please click the button below to receive an email when the course becomes available again.