Foundations of Information Security
Learn the foundational skills needed to build a successful cyber security career. In this course, Neil Daswani will show you how to achieve basic security objectives (such as authentication, authorization, access control, confidentiality, data integrity and non-repudiation) by using secure systems and design principles. You’ll learn about major security breaches that have occurred over the years (think Target, JPMorganChase, Yahoo, and Equifax) and how to build countermeasures to defend against such attacks.
You’ll hear from experts like Professor Dan Boneh, one of the world’s leading minds on applied cryptography, Vint Cerf, co-creator of the internet, and industry security leaders from Google, LinkedIn, and LifeLock.
* This course also features an interactive, virtual lab. In a controlled environment, you’ll be given an opportunity to identify flaws and manipulate systems. By understanding how these hacks are executed, you’ll be better equipped to defend against them.
What you will learn
- Basic principles for designing secure systems
- Methods to prevent and defend against common cyber security attacks like phishing, malware, third-party compromise, cross-site attacks, and code injection
- How to set up password and cross domain security measures
- Introductory concepts on the implementation of cryptography
- How to build and grow an information security program
- Vint Cerf, Co-Father of the Internet, Google
- Parisa Tabriz, Senior Engineering Director, Google
- Mukul Khullar, Staff Security Engineer, LinkedIn
- Dina Mathers, Senior Director of Information Security, LifeLock a Symantec Company
- Mike Duff, Chief Information Security Officer, Stanford University
This course is approximately 12 hours of video content with 1.5 hours of coursework.
We recommend you have the equivalent of a BS in Computer Science and/or a background in security.
As our introductory course it is recommended for learners who are less familiar to begin the program here.
- $495 for Software Security Foundations
- $75 one-time document fee
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete each course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 3 business days of course completion.
60 day access to the online course starts upon payment.*
*Enroll in this course before June 30, 2020, and you will automatically receive 150 days to access course materials, video lectures, assignments, and exams, rather than the standard 60-day access period.
Course materials are available for download from the online videos page. All materials are available for printing and review upon enrollment.
Online participants are asked to complete a final exam at the end of each course to maintain the integrity of the program. A score of 85% must be achieved to successfully pass the exam. A digital record of completion will be emailed to participants when they pass the exam.
It is required that participants complete the course evaluation once they have passed the final exam.
This course may not currently be available to learners in some states and territories.