The Mathematical Mindsets course helps educators inspire and boost math achievement. You’ll learn the latest neuroscientific research on the best methods by which students learn math, as well as the specific methods and approaches you can use to successfully help your students develop a growth mindset.
In this class, Dr. Jo Boaler will provide visual examples of how she taught mathematics to 6th and 7th grade students using these effective techniques. The teaching intervention, which was 18 lessons long, raised the students' test scores by an average of 50%.
Participants will also hear from thought leaders such as Carol Dweck and Steve Strogatz.
It is recommended teachers first take How to Learn Math for Teachers before enrolling in Mathematical Mindsets.
- Methods to start math class off right
- Messages and praise we give students
- Teaching visual mathematics
- Approaches to designing and choosing good tasks
- Techniques to encourage productive class and group discussions
- Ways to encourage a mistakes-friendly environment
- Methods of inspiring mathematical problem solving and investigation
Mathematical Mindsets is an online course, consisting of approximately 30 classroom videos. It will take approximately 30 hours to complete. The course includes an online community where teachers are invited to discuss the videos and topics with other participants. It is completely aligned with the Common Core standards.
- $99 per person
- Group enrollment is available at $99/person by purchase order, company check, credit card, or wire transfer by emailing email@example.com.
- A discounted rate is available for groups of 150 or more, at $75 per person. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on groups of 150 people or more
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 3 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete the course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 1 week of course completion.
or call 650-263-4144
Individuals paying with a credit card can self-enroll in this course by clicking the “enroll in this section” button. To arrange for group enrollment, or individual enrollment using a payment method other than a credit card, please contact email@example.com
You will have access to the course for 12 months.
This course may not currently be available to learners in some states and territories.