Building Business Models
Fee may apply
An innovative product may be a feat of engineering, but that does not automatically turn it into a commercial success. What makes the difference between success in the lab and success in the marketplace is the business model. How will you create and deliver value for your customers? How will you extract some of that value for your organization? The business model encompasses your product or service, your customers, and the economic engine that will enable you to meet your profitability and growth objectives. Business model analysis is important for startups, new and established businesses which need to discover, defend or evolve their business models. This course introduces a structured way to think about, analyze, and develop a sound business model.
Learn How To
- Analyze the business models of competitors and incumbents
- Understand what a business is and how to structure it by examining the characteristics of common types of business models—how is value created, what is the profit model, and what is the logic of the business.
- Build and present a business model for your own innovation
- Prepare a business plan by following the approach taken by a young Silicon Valley startup.
- Understand the underlying economics as well as the "flywheel" that propels a business model to success.
- Learn about the concepts of network effects and sharing economy, which underlie the logic of many business models in the technology market.
Please Note: This course requires you to record a final presentation through voice, and/or video.
Please contact us at 650.741.1630 or
Watch a brief overview of the Building Business Models course
Includes 60 days access to the online course homepage and digital color PDF's of presentations and handouts when available.
*Note: All amounts shown are in USD
60 day access to the online course starts upon payment. The end date of a section of this course does not restrict your access to the course material.
Course materials are available for download from the online videos page. All materials are available for printing and review upon enrollment.
Online participants are asked to complete a final exam at the end of each course to maintain the integrity of the program. A score of 85% must be achieved to successfully pass the exam. A digital record of completion will be emailed to participants when they pass the exam.
It is required that participants complete the course evaluation once they have passed the final exam.