Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Certificate: Venture Creation for the Real Economy Track
- Graduate Certificate
Fee may apply
Silicon Valley is synonymous with a culture of IT-focused startups, venture capital, viral products, and billion-dollar “unicorn” valuations. But many worthwhile ventures are not fit to be a venture-backed startup, fueled by Silicon Valley’s unique mix of high-risk venture capital and initial public offering headlines. These ventures often exploit emerging materials science, engineering, medical, and IT technologies to radically apply innovation to the real economy, thereby producing real economic value for society as well as for the entrepreneurs.
Building upon Silicon Valley venture concepts, this graduate certificate guides students through key elements of new venture creation for the real economy, including identifying opportunities, developing business plans, determining funding sources, developing products and services, and managing innovation. You will leave with the knowledge and network to successfully launch impactful business ideas, governmental initiatives, and non-profit entities, a number of which of which have been started from the classes included in this certificate.
Earning the Certificate
- Take a total of four courses, at least two of which must come from the Foundational Courses list.
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites.
- Take courses for graduate credit and letter grade. Receive a B (3.0) or better in each course.
- Finish all course work within three years of adding the certificate track.
- A degree in a related field with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- General familiarity with the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industry.
Explore Other Tracks:
Venture Creation for the Real Economy is one of four tracks in the Graduate Certificate in Civil and Environmental Engineering. You may also be interested in these tracks:
Note: you can only earn the certificate in one track.
To pursue a graduate certificate you need to apply.
Tuition is based on the number of units you take. See Graduate Course Tuition on our Tuition & Fees page for more information.
Time to Complete Certificate
1-2 years average
3 years maximum to complete
Submit an inquiry to receive more information.
Foundational Courses (Minimum 2)
Electives (Minimum of 1)
- Engineering Economics and Sustainability
- Summer 2020-21: Online - Open For Enrollment
- Global Project Finance
- Creating New Ventures in Engineering and Science-based Industries
- Decision Analysis I: Foundations of Decision Analysis
- Global Entrepreneurial Marketing