Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Certificate: Virtual Design and Construction Track
- Graduate Certificate
Fee may apply
Virtual Design and Construction Track
The architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industry is rapidly evolving. Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) is increasingly used to translate client building performance objectives into measurable project and production plans. Building Information Modeling (BIM) tools are now a common communication and collaboration platform across the design, construction, and delivery phases of complex projects. This graduate certificate track will provide you with a strong foundation in building information modeling that is augmented with deep knowledge in parametric system design and optimization and virtual design and construction practices.
You Will Learn
- Basic Building Information Modeling (BIM) skills and best practices to produce models used in architectural design, construction planning and documentation, rendering and visualization, simulation, and analysis.
- Advanced Building Information Modeling (BIM) skills for design, analysis, and modeling of building systems including structural, envelope, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection.
- Parametric design modeling and optimization platforms and scripting environments that enable rapid generation of 3D models for rapid evaluation of parametrically-driven design alternatives.
- Management practices for concurrent orchestration of multiple disciplines to design useable, operable and sustainable buildings.
- Techniques to integrate project information that's made seamlessly accessible to support a diverse project team.
- Broader engineering and economic context of BIM and VDC within operations management, decision-making theory, and sustainability-focused design
Earning the Certificate
- Take a total of four courses, including the capstone and a minimum of two courses from the "Foundational Electives" section.
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites.
- Take courses for graduate credit and letter grade. Maintain a B average (GPA of 3.0) or better.
- Finish all course work within three years of adding the certificate track.
- A degree in a related field with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- General familiarity with the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry.
- Limited familiarity with Building Information Modeling (BIM) software (i.e., Revit) is preferred, but not required.
Explore Other Tracks:
Virtual Design and Construction is one of three tracks in the Graduate Certificate in Civil and Environmental Engineering. You may also be interested in these tracks:
Note: you can only earn the certificate in one track.
To pursue a graduate certificate you need to apply.
Tuition is based on the number of units you take. See Graduate Course Tuition on our Tuition & Fees page for more information.
Time to Complete Certificate
1-2 years average
3 years maximum to complete
Submit an inquiry to receive more information.
Foundational Elective Courses (minimum of 2 courses)
Required Capstone Course (1 course)