Management Science and Engineering Graduate Certificate
- Graduate Certificate
Fee may apply
As the rate of technological change accelerates and extensive collaboration becomes the business standard, professionals working in industry must understand the impact of their work across an extensive range of contexts. The success of a manager requires an ability to analyze the information on hand and account for unforeseen change in a way that optimizes new working environments.
The Management Science and Engineering graduate certificate program gives you a strong foundation for a strategic decision-making mindset and the opportunity to design your own plan of study at the crossroads of policy, management, and technology. Develop analytical skills that will drive key business improvements across a range of sectors. Understand the science behind successful management practices as you learn how to build effective systems and organizations.
Courses use mathematical models and engineering case studies to explore advanced modeling, optimization and decision analysis techniques. Covering both theory and practical implementation, you will gain insights to the social, political and economic impact of your work. A broad selection of elective courses allows you to explore subject areas as diverse as engineering risk, health policy and finance.
Note: Course offerings may be subject to change. You do not need to enroll in the certificate to take the courses. You may enroll in any courses if you meet its prerequisites.
Who Should Apply
Professionals from all industries and function areas who want to enhance their analytical skills for organizational management, complex data and operational processes.
Earning the Certificate
- Tailor the certificate to your interests and career goals
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites
- Take courses for graduate credit and a grade
- Maintain a B average (GPA of 3.0) or better
- Complete one required course from each section: MS&E211 or MS&E226, MS&E252 or MS&E280, MS&E220 or MS&E221
- Choose one MS&E200+ course as an elective. Suggested electives are shown on the right, and a full list can be found here
- 1 year of college level calculus (through calculus of several variables, such as CME100). Coursework must be from an accredited university or college that can provide a transcript verifying successful completion.
- Background in statistics, experience with spreadsheets recommended.
- A conferred Bachelor’s degree with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
To pursue a graduate certificate you need to apply.
Tuition is based on the number of units you take. See Graduate Course Tuition on our Tuition & Fees page for more information.
Time to Complete Certificate
On average, students complete the certificate within 1-2 years.
Submit an inquiry to receive more information.
This certificate has been revised in line with new Management Science and Engineering master’s degree requirements. Students who started the certificate prior to winter quarter 2017 may continue with the previous guidelines.
Data and Modeling (select 1)
Decision Making and Organization (select 1)